Full event description and online registration form: http://historicorps.org/events/chittenden-nursery/
Join us for one week or six! Volunteering with HistoriCorps is FREE! This is a great way to share and build your hands-on preservation skill set.
Under the expert supervision of HistoriCorps field staff, volunteers will preserve the Chittenden Nursery through:
- Repairing and repainting siding and roof vents
- Installing period appropriate windows
- Replacing current doors with period appropriate doors
- Repainting the structure
PROJECT SITE DESCRIPTION:
Chittenden Nursery served as a hub of activity during the reforestation efforts of the 1930's. With much of the eastern and midwestern United States stripped of their forests, and urban unemployment driving men to the Civilian Conservation Corps, the US Forest Service created Chittenden Nursery with CCC members as the primary laborers. Opened in 1934, the nursery supplied seedlings and transplants for regional planting and featured several buildings, including a greenhouse. The nursery operated for almost forty years before finally being closed in 1973 due to insufficient demand for seedlings. In cooperation with the CCC, the US Forest Service leveraged the nursery's production of pine, spruce, and hardwood trees to reforest more 101,000 acres in the Manistee National Forest between 1934 and 1942. Read more about Chittenden Nursery's history in Silviculture Magazine.
The forest itself is nationally recognized for its thousands of lakes, rivers, and streams. If you like to fish in pristine freshwater conditions, canoe, or simply enjoy the tranquility of a forest stream, don't miss out on this project! Additionally, a unique dune ecosystem can be explored where the forest touches the eastern waters of Lake Michigan - enjoy the beach! Hikers will enjoy the hundreds of miles of trails. You can learn more about all the Huron-Manistee National Forest has to offer at www.fs.usda.gov/hmnf.
WHO: All are welcome, no experience needed. Those age 18 - 30 & veterans up to age 35 are especially encouraged to participate. Those between age 14 17 must bring a parent or legal guardian in order to participate; those under age 14 cannot work on projects.
WHERE: Chittenden Nursery, Wellston, MI (map).
- Field staff will train volunteers in the project work. All tools are provided. Please do not bring your own tools we dont want them to get lost!
- Volunteers are responsible for bringing their own camping supplies including: sleeping bag, pillow, toiletries. Showers will be available on-site a short walk from the bunkhouse.
- Volunteers can choose to sleep in their own tent on-site or sleep in shared quarters in the bunkhouse.
- Volunteers are responsible for their transportation to and from the project and campsite.
- HistoriCorps will provide volunteers with meals including: breakfast, lunch, dinner, water and snacks.
- The work day will last from 8:00am 5:00pm with breaks for lunch, snacks and water in between.
- Volunteers must come prepared with proper attire including: sturdy work shoes, long pants and a work shirt.
Register online at http://historicorps.org/events/chittenden-nursery/. If you have any further questions, please contact Liz Rice, Volunteer Manager, at email@example.com or at 720-287-0100 ext. 231. Thank you for your interest in this project!
Session 1: July 16-21
Session 2: July 23-28
Session 3: July 30-August 4
Session 4: August 6-11
Session 5: August 13-18
Session 6: August 20-25