Provide technical architectural assistance and architectural preservation consultation related to historic courthouses. Advise local governments on best preservation practices, construction process and maintenance planning. Performs architectural review work in an office and field setting. Work under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. Serve as a project reviewer for the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program (THCPP). Reviews and administers grants for architectural projects under the state-funded program for conformance to the Secretary of the Interiors Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties and the program rules.
2. Review proposals for changes to historic courthouses for compliance with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards under the state laws protecting courthouses, the Antiquities Code of Texas and preservation easements. Communicates conditions and recommendations for approval.
3. Meet with architects, contractors, owners, government officials, and others as necessary to assess building conditions and understand their programmatic requirements, applicable building codes and other factors that may impact the buildings care.
4. Coordinate with other Texas Historical Commission (THC) staff, divisions and programs on courthouse maintenance and stewardship
5. Prepare guidance documents, reports and recommendations for counties on the repair and maintenance of their courthouse(s).
6. Develop workshops and conducts training sessions to educate county facilities managers and county officials on best practices for courthouse preservation and facility management.
7. May offer technical assistance and guidance to counties on cyclical maintenance planning and methodologies for repairing or rehabilitating their historic courthouse(s).
8. May maintain files and database for the program or other duties as assigned.
9. Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
10. Follow all THC safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS (The application must specifically state how each of the following qualifications are met):
Program Specialist III: