The National Park Service, Minute Man National Historical Park, in partnership with American Conservation Experience, a Nonprofit Conservation Corps, is offering a 31-week Natural/Cultural Resource Management Associate position. The Associate will gain knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with resource management in national parks including managing invasive vegetation, re-establishing healthy plant communities, rehabilitation of historic trails, orchard care, engaging volunteers, scoping stewardship projects, and preparing for commemorative events at Minute Man National Historical Park, located in Concord-Lincoln-Lexington Massachusetts.
Compensation: The ACE Associate will contribute 40 hours/week and receive a living allowance of $335/week, plus $1,000 for travel/training. The position is AmeriCorps eligible. Park housing is not included, but may be available.
This position will work under the supervision of the Natural/Cultural Resource Program Manager. Duties include:
· Assist with vegetation management including invasive plant reduction, native and historically significant species re-introduction, and orchard care
· Assist with the preparation of a trail management and maintenance plan as well as resource management planning documents for funding requests
· Collect data using GPS unit/tablet and compile resource data using Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Manipulate data using GIS to generate maps for trail repair and maintenance specifications
· Scope and implement projects with interdisciplinary teams, youth programs, and volunteers to improve the condition of natural and cultural resources
· Assist with natural/cultural resource protection in advance of the parks April commemorative events.
Qualifications: Applicants must have an undergraduate or graduate degree (or be pursuing a degree) in natural or cultural resource management, landscape architecture, planning, or other disciplines appropriate to the position. A combination of relevant education and appropriate experience is also acceptable. The Associate must be a US citizen and willing to represent ACE and the NPS in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner. The Associate will undergo a federal background check and ACE reserves the right to require drug testing.
· Undergraduate or graduate degree in related field
· US Citizenship and between the age of 18 and 35
· Valid driver's license, clean driving record, and personal vehicle
· Effective communication skills
· Ability to gather, organize, and interpret data and relevant source materials
· Excellent writing, editing, and organizational skills
· Ability to actively participate on interdisciplinary teams
· Ability and willingness to undergo a Federal background check
· Ability to work outside in variable weather conditions in fall, winter, and spring
· Strong desire to enter the public service field as a planning or resource professional
· Ability to prepare graphics using Adobe, AutoCAD, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
· Experience and/or knowledge in the mission of the NPS and other federal resource management agencies