The City of Houston Planning & Development Department is looking for a professional to fill an entry level planner position within the City of Houstons Historic Preservation Office.
The Assistant Planner position will coordinate and conduct technical reviews, research and analyze planning data for activities relating to the Historic Preservation Ordinance. Planning activities include but are not limited to certificates of appropriateness, landmark designations, historic districts, design guidelines, historic tax exemptions, technical assistance and consultation, and educational outreach.
- Reviews, or assists in reviewing, development proposals of limited complexity for compliance with applicable regulations
- Provides technical assistance and professional support in the administration of specific planning programs, regulations, or ordinances.
- Performs routine administrative tasks in designated planning program areas; including data entry, file management, and responding to customer inquiries.
- Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources.
- Prepares maps and other graphical representations of data of varying complexity.
- Works closely with the public on basic planning programs, requirements, or ordinances.
Knowledge of Historic Preservation principles and practices; Excellent written & verbal communication skills; Strong attention to detail; Proficient in Microsoft Office; Demonstrated time management & organizational skills; Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills; Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines; Adapts well to changes; Demonstrated success working with diverse clientele.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.