The position of Bacons Castle Historic Interpreter is a part time, hourly position without benefits. Located in Surry County, Bacons Castle is the oldest brick home in North America. Built in 1665, it is owned and operated by Preservation Virginia, the oldest statewide preservation organization in the nation.
Requirements: Must be over 18, able to lift 30 lbs, be able to climb up and down stairs repeatedly. Must enjoy working with and speaking to the public for several hours at a time. Prior knowledge of American History and or giving public tours preferred.
The duties of the position are as follows:
1. Interpreters will provide accurate and well organized tours of the house and extant buildings and garden to the general public, tour groups, and school groups.
2. Interpreters welcome the public, collect tickets, and direct visitors to facilities, exhibits, and interesting aspects of the site.
3. Interpreters represent Bacons Castle and Preservation Virginia to visitors and shall conduct themselves at all times in a courteous and professional manner. Interpreters will inform visitors of the organizations goals and programs, the need for financial support, and the advantages of becoming a member.
4. Interpreters assist in providing security and care for the site, building, and collections. They help ensure the safety of the visiting public and must respond calmly and professionally to emergencies. They follow institutional procedures and will report any changes in the condition of the house or collection promptly to the Site Coordinator.
5. Interpreters assist with special programs, including but not limited to site rentals and special events, often held on evenings and weekends.
6. Interpreters participate actively in regularly scheduled staff meetings and training opportunities. Interpreters are required to update or modify their tours as new and relevant information becomes available.
7. Interpreters assist in the office as needed when not giving tours, for example by answering the telephone or doing clerical work.
8. Interpreters assist with keeping Bacons Castle clean, including but not limited to keeping the staff areas (kitchen and desk area) clean and tidy, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out trash, sweeping the house, porch and steps daily, etc.
9. Interpreters open and close the house, if trained and required to do so.
10. Interpreters welcome visitors into the museum store, encourage sales and answer questions, operate the cash register and keep accurate sales records as directed, and keep the shop tidy and well stocked. Bacons Castle Interpreters report to the Bacons Castle Site Coordinator and are responsible for other duties, as assigned.
The position is as-scheduled but interpreters can expect to work 5-30 hours per month. Weekend availability (Friday-Sunday) is required.