Job title: Architectural Historian
Department: Heritage Assets
FLSA Status: FTE, Exempt
Work Conditions: Office environment in historic buildings, not ADA accessible. Moderate lifting. Normal hours 8:30 AM 5:00 PM.
Salary: $50,000-60,000 annually based on knowledge and experience
Reports to: Historic Preservation Officer
1. Conducts reviews of projects at Fort Monroe to evaluate the effects to historic properties.
2. Makes on-site inspections to interpret specific landscape and rehabilitation issues and to identify solutions.
3. Promotes appropriate treatment measures by providing technical assistance and guidance on preservation technologies and procedures.
4. Provides training in requirement for historic resources and/or available preservation tools, references and resources.
5. Supports marketing and real estate activities as the historic preservation expert at Fort Monroe.
6. Acts as liaison between the Commonwealth and project proponents, providing positive guidance with consideration of the preservation issues, public benefit, and state initiatives.
7. Makes determinations for the Commonwealth regarding the potential effect of proposed projects on historic properties in collaboration with the VA Department of Historic Resources (DHR).
8. Coordinates projects with DHR and the Authority in accordance with the Programmatic Agreement when potential effects to historic properties are found.
9. Responsible for developing formal agreement documents among the project proponent(s), the DHR, the Authority, and appropriate stakeholders.
10. Ensures an appropriate level of public and stakeholder involvement in the review process, through development and implementation of a public on historic preservation issues.
· Applicants must meet The Secretary of the Interiors Professional Qualification Standards in at least one of the following: Architectural History, Architecture, Historic Architecture or related fields. www.https://www.nps.gov/history/local-law/gis/html/quals.html
· Minimum of Bachelors Degree in Architectural History, Historic Preservation or closely related field plus experience level(s) as defined in The Secretary of the Interiors Professional Qualification Standa