Crews of one leader and four Corpsmembers will participate in on-the-job training to learn historic preservation trade skills and put those skills into practice working on a variety of projects throughout Minnesota. This position involves physically challenging, team-oriented work. Work is performed exclusively outdoors and all projects involve extended camping near the work project site. Applicants must be flexible to work from mid-September to midOctober with 5 scheduled days off (mostly weekends) during this period. Food, campsites and group camping gear are only provided while working away from Duluth. Crew is provided a crew vehicle to travel from Duluth to work location.
Crew Leader will be responsible for training and development of four Corpsmembers on-the-job. The Crew Leader is responsible for the crews overall work performance and safety during a project. Crew Leader works directly with Corpsmembers to complete all projects.
Crew Leader will receive training and complete historic preservation projects. Work includes restoring historic buildings with the U.S. Forest Service in the Boundary Waters (BWCAW), cemetery monument resetting and cleaning and historic landscape restoration. Crews will camp at or near work sites for extended periods.
· Ability to independently lead a crew of four Corpsmembers to work safely and productively on historic preservation projects.
· Previous experience in a leadership role.
· Previous conservation corps experience preferred.
· Effective communication skills.
· Experience/education in history, historic preservation trades, carpentry, knowledge of hand and power tool safety is preferred.
· Valid drivers license and safe driving record.
· Ability to perform the essential functions of the job 8-10 hours per day:
o Long (8-10 hour) days of repetitive cleaning and restoring historic structures and objects
o Long (8-10 hour) days of heavy, manual labor
o Long (8-10 hour) days of brush saw work, lopping and pruning historic landscapes
o Heavy lifting, bending and carrying up to 50 pounds
o Walking / working on steep or uneven terrain
o Working outdoors, rain or shine, in extreme heat and dealing with insect and pests
o Working, eating and camping in the outdoors in all weather conditions
· Ability to work well with others in a team setting.
· Strong desire to learn new skills.