Crews of one leader and four Corpsmembers will participate in on-the-job training to learn historic preservation trade skills and put those skills into practice working on a variety of projects throughout Minnesota. This position involves physically challenging, team-oriented work. Work is performed exclusively outdoors and all projects involve extended camping near the work project site. Applicants must be flexible to work from mid-September to mid-October with 5 scheduled days off (mostly weekends) during this period. Food, campsites and group camping gear are only provided while working away from Duluth. Crew is provided a crew vehicle to travel from Duluth to work location.
Corpsmembers will receive training and complete historic preservation projects. Work includes restoring historic buildings with the U.S. Forest Service in the Boundary Waters (BWCAW), cemetery monument resetting and cleaning and historic landscape restoration. Crews will camp at or near work sites for extended periods.
· Ability to perform the essential functions of the job 8-10 hours per day:
o Long (8-10 hour) days of repetitive cleaning and restoring historic structures and objects
o Long (8-10 hour) days of heavy, manual labor
o Long (8-10 hour) days of brush saw work, lopping, and pruning historic landscapes
o Heavy lifting, bending, and carrying up to 50 pounds
o Walking / working on steep or uneven terrain
o Working outdoors, rain or shine, in extreme heat, and dealing with insect and pests
o Working, eating, and camping in the outdoors in all weather conditions
· Ability to work well with others in a team setting.
· Strong desire to learn new skills.
· Attention to detail and willing to follow standards for historic preservation.
· Positive attitude and interest in service and community work.
· Flexible schedule.
· Interest and ability to camp for extended periods.
· Reliable transportation to report to shop location in Duluth at the beginning of each project.
· This is a service and training program for young adults; therefore, young adults, minorities, and women are encouraged to apply.
Requirements: Must be able to perform essential functions of the job including physically strenuous work 8-10 hours per day. Travel and extended camping are required. Personal protective equipment is provided and required. Must pass criminal history checks.