The City of Fernandina Beach, located on Amelia Island, Florida, has an opening for a Planner I or II. Position responsibilities may include assisting in management of the City's historic preservation program.
The City of Fernandina Beach has an opening for an:
Title: Planner I
Department: Community Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: CDD Director
Salary Grade: 133 ($37,039 $58,336)
A. Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in Planning or related field; minimum two (2) years experience in municipal sector planning and zoning required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Geographic Information System, and AUTOCAD preferred. A comparable amount of training, education, or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
American Institute of Certified Planners certification is preferred. ValidFloridadrivers license required.
C. Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
Knowledge ofFloridas planning laws, concurrency management and land development regulations helpful; Geographic Information System experience preferred. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Responsible for administering the Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code through the zoning and development permitting process and will be involved in all aspects of local government planning and zoning.
1. Assists visitors and staff in a professional manner; provides information as requested.
2. Meets with the public to explain land development requirements and codes.
3. Assists in reviewing site plans, working drawings, and specifications for land development and redevelopment projects.
4. Gathers data required in the processing of land development applications.
5. Prepares staff reports.
6. Supports the department at public hearings as needed.
7. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation. Advises management of actions and potential risks.
8. Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional areas to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
9. Complies with OSHA Safety and Health rules.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Physical Skills
Acceptable eyesight, hearing (with/without correction), ability to communicate (orally and in writing), moderate lifting and carrying (up to 25 lbs.), reaching, pulling, pushing, walking, sitting, standing, kneeling, and bending. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
Works inside in an office environment.