The incumbent in this position serves as the Georgia Department of Transportation Review and Compliance Archaeologist. Duties include the review of National Historic Preservation Act compliance documentation regarding eligibility effects to archaeological resources. The position also provides technical and planning assistance for GDOT projects, attends technical assistance meetings, and facilitates and expedites projects designated as high-priority by GDOT.
Completion of a Masters Degree from an accredited college or university in Historic Preservation, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science or a closely related field.
Completion of a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in Historical Preservation, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, or a closely related field
Two years of experience in a directly related area.
Two years of experience at the lower level or position equivalent.
Preference may be given to applicants who possess a Masters degree in Anthropology/Archaeology or a related field and two (2) or more of the following:
- Meet the Secretary of Interiors Standards (36 CFR Part 61) for archaeology.
- Completion of an archaeological field school.
- Familiarity with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and/or federal preservation laws concerning archaeology.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other cultural resource professionals as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with the general public.
NOTE: Applicants must submit both a State Application for Employment AND a resume with references.