Position Summary: The AmeriCorps member in the position of Healthy Food Educator will serve at multiple Washoe County schools to develop and deliver healthy foods and nutrition education as it relates to farming and gardening. The member will also lead workshops to train and mentor youth in sustainable agriculture techniques.
· Member Impact: Through service duties, member will conduct and support agricultural research designed to test new methods and crops that will become available to small and medium sied farmers in the high desert area. The impact of this service opportunity will increase understanding of sustainable agricultural techniques for new and future farmers while also increasing the number of students consuming local specialty crops.
· Primary responsibilities: Nutrition Education and Support: Healthy Futures
· Develop and deliver nutrition education programs at various schools in the Washoe County School District;
· Collect data from various nutrition and healthy food educational activities;
· Provide support for educators interested in nutrition and healthy foods education;
· Conduct engaging outreach activities related to healthy food choices and nutrition education.
· Secondary responsibilities: Building Future Farmers in Nevada: Green Job Training
· Conduct trainings and workshops on sustainable agriculture techniques;
· Learn and apply innovative high desert farming techniques including infrastructure development, installation & maintenance as related to member service.
· Related Responsibilities:
· Successfully complete all required trainings;
· Professionally represent and be a positive ambassador for Urban Roots & partners in the community;
· Recruit, manage and train volunteers to support programs and events as appropriate;
· Collect and report program statistics;