Position Summary: AmeriCorps members in the Crew Member position will serve at the High Desert Farming Initiative to learn and apply sustainable agriculture techniques for the high desert region. Members will learn to create and conduct agricultural research, conduct outreach and educational programming as it relates to sustainable agriculture techniques and nutrition education.
· Member Impact: Through service duties, members will conduct and support agricultural research designed to test new methods and crops that will become available to small and medium sied farmers in the high desert area. The impact of this service opportunity will increase understanding of sustainable agricultural techniques for new and future farmers while also increasing the number of students consuming local specialty crops.
· Primary responsibilities: Building Future Farmers in Nevada: Green Job Training
· Learn and apply innovative high desert farming techniques including infrastructure development, installation & maintenance as related to member service;
· Collect field data from various agricultural research projects being conducted, compile and distribute the research results;
· Conduct farmer outreach and education initiatives;
· Develop community outreach initiatives and professional development opportunities.
· Secondary responsibilities: Nutrition Education and Support: Healthy Futures
· Deliver agriculture education programs at Urban Roots education partners related to agricultural science and nutrition;
· Develop educational outreach programs for community members and youth.
· Related Responsibilities:
· Successfully complete all required trainings;
· Professionally represent and be a positive ambassador for Urban Roots & partners in the community;
· Recruit, manage and train volunteers to support programs and events as appropriate;