Seeking a high school teacher or career professional looking to become a high school teacher to provide a career and technical education instructional program in historic preservation carpentry. Preferred applicants should have broad experience in carpentry, ideally in an historic preservation context, for developing and delivering an effective high school curriculum. The selected candidate will use theoretical instruction and applied learning methods to integrate contemporary practices with historic preservation practice and a history of the trade; effectively positioning students for higher education, professional apprenticeships and/or careers in preservation carpentry.
Candidate must have a New York State teaching certification in the content area with satisfactory ratings and attendance,
For transitional CTE certification, Candidate must have:
· Work experience in the specialization area for a minimum of 2 years, and must provide proof of work with W-2 Forms and letters from employers.
· Have an Associate Degree, Bachelors Degree or equivalent, with 30 semester hours or more of content core in the subject matter AND
· Possibly take and pass a Competency Skills Test to determine competency in the specialization area as administered by the State Education Department. Tests are not available for all CTE subjects
· Work experience in the specialization area for a minimum of 4 years, and must provide proof of work with W-2 Forms and letters from employers.
· Have a High School Diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED).
· Take the Communication and Qualitative Skills Test (CQST) and receive a satisfactory grade. (The test is offered every 2 months and registration to take the test is required at least 1 month before the test date. The test is administered by the State Education Department and the on-line address for registration is http://www.nystce.neinc.com)
· Possibly take and pass a Competency Skills Test to determine competency in the specialization area as administered by the State Education Department. Tests are not available for all CTE subjects.
(This transitional certification is valid for 3 years, after which additional coursework and student teaching is required for Initial Certification: see
for more details.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (truncated; request full description at info@MatherHSNYC.org.)