Work for an organization you can feel good about while protecting some of the countrys most important historic places! The National Trust for Historic Preservation is in search of a new Vice President for Historic Sites.
Reporting to and partnering with the Chief Preservation Officer, the Vice President for Historic Sites provides leadership to staff and volunteer stewards of the National Trust for Historic Preservation's twenty-seven diverse and nationally important historic sites.
National Trust Sites are places of national significance or impact where a variety of ownership, stewardship, business, use, and engagement practices flourish to advance the National Trust mission and model the many options for preservation. Working within the framework of the National Trusts vision for historic sites, the VP provides strategic and operational direction and guidance to the site directors, professional staff, and boards. S/he is responsible for developing and maintaining a strong and successful management structure and team who work together with clarity, integration, authority and accountability.
The National Trust is engaged in the national conversation on revisioning historic sites, and the VP is expected to play a leadership role in collaboration with the President and CEO and the Chief Preservation Officer in this work. The VPs involvement will be as both a thought leader and the senior manager responsible for operational implementation. S/he must be comfortable operating in the realms of strategic leadership, business development, real estate, and effective management. The VP will be required to engage and utilize staff and volunteers at all levels in this important work.
The VP serves as a member of the management team of the Preservation Division and is expected to work collaboratively and effectively with his/her colleagues on that team to integrate the work at the sites with the overall vision for the National Trust as articulated in the Preservation10X strategic plan.
The VP of Sites has a team of approximately 18 senior professionals and historic site directors as well as additional professional and support staff at the stewardship sites (owned and operated by the National Trust). S/he also works collaboratively with approximately 13 site directors at NTHP co-stewardship sites (owned by NTHP; operated by a separate nonprofit) and affiliate sites (neither owned nor operated by the National Trust). The staff at our sites totals more than 200 individuals (full time and seasonal). In addition, the VP is expected to collaborate with his/her colleagues at other departments and divisions of the National Trust to leverage our human resources across the organization.
Strategic leadership and national impact
- Execute the vision for the future of the National Trust Historic Sites;
- Focus and support sites work that is of national significance and impact;
- Work with the directors of the National Trust Historic Sites to ensure they have the skills, capacity, authority, support, and resources to implement the vision for a 21st century National Trust Historic Site and manage the historic places, businesses, and real estate assets that make up NTHP sites; and
- Effectively manage a diverse set of professionals who support the historic sites with archaeological, architectural, financial, educational, curatorial, administrative and related skills; directing and supporting this core team in providing assistance to the field staff at the historic sites.
- Lead the sites to effective local governance, as outlined in the sites vision, by developing and supporting co-stewardship and affiliate arrangements with NTHP sites; and
- Effectively manage the relationships with volunteer stewards of NTHP Historic Sites, a component critical to the sites growth and sustainability.