Prepares or edits National Register nominations for archeological sites; conducts or supervises surveys which may include photography, bibliographic research and limited laboratory research and analysis; reviews and comments on archeological assessments; maintains liaison with professional archaeological associations; supervises expenditure of National Park Service grant-in-aid funds for archeological sites; develops and writes archeological components of State Plan for Historic Preservation; speaks before groups concerning archeological issues; prepares and updates state inventories and maps for archaeological use; conducts negotiations with federal agencies and the Presidents Advisory Council on Historic Preservation; assists in planning projects falling under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and Connecticut Environmental Policy Act; maintains liaison with Office Archaeology and Native American Heritage Advisory Council; participates in formulating memoranda of agreement; provides technical guidance to state agencies, town government and property owners on archaeological issues; performs related duties as required.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
The minimum qualifications for t this job classification are:
1. A Masters degree in archaeology, anthropology or closely related field.
2. One (1) year of full-time experience or equivalent specialized training in archaeology research, administration or management.
3. Four (4) months of supervised field and analytic experience in general North American archaeology.
4. Demonstrated ability to carry out research to completion
5. One (1) year of full-time professional experience at a supervisory level in the study of archeological resources of the prehistoric period or one (1) year of full-time professional experience at a supervisory level in the study of archaeological resources of the historic period.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Non-Examined refers to Section 5-219 of the Connecticut General Statutes which permits appointment of candidates to competitive positions without formal examination when a professional license, professional degree, accreditation of certificate is a mandatory requirement for appointment to a class.