Position: Collections Conservator
Department: Historic Preservation and Collections
The Mount Vernon Ladies Association seeks a highly motivated Collections Conservator to direct the conservation of the Fine and Decorative Arts Collections at the home of George and Martha Washington, a 500-acre historic site visited by more than 1 million guests annually. These collections encompass more than 15,000 items, including paintings, prints, sculpture, furniture, ceramics, metals, other decorative arts, and textiles.
The Collections Conservator oversees the preservation and conservation of Mount Vernons Fine and Decorative Arts collections, including planning and implementing preventive maintenance, preparing objects for photography and exhibition in historic structures and museum galleries, and coordinating work by contract conservators. The Collections Conservator works closely with Historic Preservation and Collections staff and contract conservators, under the direction of the Curator.
· Masters degree from accredited conservation program, with specialty in objects conservation, preferably decorative arts
· At least five years post-graduate experience, including minimum of three years conservation experience in an historic site or museum setting
· General knowledge of current museum practices in storage, handling, environmental controls and illumination
· Familiarity with conservation issues particular to historic house museums and historic sites
· Excellent hand skills, competence with basic scientific instrumentation, computers, and digital media
· Experience with lab management preferred, attention to detail and strong organization skills required
· Demonstrates leadership and decision-making abilities; works effectively individually and as part of a team; communicates courteously, professionally and effectively with colleagues, supervisors, and the public
By February 28, 2013, send resume and cover letter to Attn: Susan Schoelwer, Curator, George Washingtons Mount Vernon, P.O. Box 110, Mount Vernon, VA 22121, USA. Applications may also be sent via fax: 703.780.8320 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer