Wabash Marketplace, Inc. (WMI) is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic, organized, and creative person to serve as an intern for a ten-week / 400 hour period during the summer of 2012. The successful candidate will serve under the Executive Director assisting with a collaborative survey project. The successful candidate will also be exposed to the operational framework of a successful nationally-accredited Main Street program, providing the candidate experience of working for a not-for-profit.
In the last five years, over $30 million has been invested in and around the Downtown Wabash area featuring new and renovated buildings, streetscapes, the YMCA, the Charley Creek Inn, and the Eagles Theatre, just to name a few. In the last three years, twenty new businesses have opened locations in Downtown Wabash. Downtown Wabash is a thriving and economically viable community, and the successful candidate will be afforded the opportunity to leave their mark on the revitalization efforts of this community.
The principal duty of the successful candidate will be to complete a survey of local building and business owners that WMI is calling the 1x1 Project. As part of the 1x1 Project, the interns main duties will be to go door-to-door to collect the desired information, use the Wabash County Archives and Wabash County Courthouse Records to verify and collect data, compile the data into an easily accessible format, and to aid WMI in getting this data onto our website. The intern will also be asked to attend all WMI Board Meetings and Committee Meetings. The idea is to provide the successful candidate with a well-rounded experience.
· Responsible for completing the 1x1 Project.
· Surveying all building and business owners within the WMI boundaries.
· Development and implementation of a completed database.
· Updating the database on our website.
· Setting meetings with building and business owners when necessary to collect data.
· Taking quality photos of buildings.
· Ability to complete tasks with little guidance from the Executive Director.
· Full-time advocate for Downtown Wabash.
· Recruiting members and volunteers while out in the community.
· Attending WMI Board Meetings and Committee Meetings.
This position requires a Bachelors Degree and at least one-year of graduate school in Historic Preservation, Architecture, or Architectural History.