PURPOSE OF POSITION: Advance the mission of Tudor Place through the stewardship of the buildings, all systems, and garden structures on site. Provide leadership for conservation of the exteriors and interiors of structures, and for the archaeological program. Coordinate all preservation initiatives in accordance in accordance with the Secretary of the Interiors Standards, the New Orleans Charter for Joint Preservation of Historic Structures and Artifacts, the Williamsburg Resolutions on Architectural Fragments, and the Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. Function as a spokesperson with the DCSHPO and the National Park Service, as appropriate.
1. Manage and maintain a comprehensive short and long term maintenance program for all historic structures.
2. Perform minor buildings maintenance as required.
3. Develop long range and short term conservation plans for all structures.
4. Prepare measured drawings and all documentation related to structures including a once a year assessment of all structures.
5. Conduct archival and technical research related to specific conservation projects.
6. Develop specifications for materials and methods of application for all projects.
7. As appropriate, conduct probes into historic fabric for research or project purposes.
8. Write RFPs, assess proposals, select consultant, and supervise all consultants and/or architects on conservation projects.
9. Perform hands-on conservation for specific projects to ensure structures and building finishes are safe.
10. Coordinate all work related to consultants and contractors in maintenance and small scale conservation projects.
11. Document all projects and maintenance including work by consultants/contractors.
12. Review the Buildings Conservation Policy on an annual basis and prepare needed revisions for presentation to the Executive Director and Buildings and Grounds Committee.
13. Actively participate in professional organizations to promote the visibility and excellence of work done at Tudor Place, including publishing and presentations.
14. Inform and educate staff of best architectural conservation practices and historic preservation standards.
15. Develop a plan for a comprehensive archaeological program and implement discreet projects
16. Coordinate all work related to consultants and contractors in archaeological projects on the site. Manage and monitor all excavations, including Phase I, II, and III surveys.
17. Collaborate with the Department of Collections on the inventorying, cataloguing, and exhibition of the architectural and archaeological collections.
18. Document all work related to consultants and contractors.
19. Maintain relations with the Archaeologist for the District of Columbia, DCSHPO.
20. Assist in the development of interpretive themes and information for tours, exhibitions, and educational programs related to building conservation.
21. Contribute to the intellectual content of the museum’s conferences and lecture programs related to building conservation.
22. Conduct limited number of special presentations and tours.
23. With the Executive Director, build agenda for and participate in the Buildings and Grounds Committee.
24. Prepare the annual department budget and develop on-going 10 year projections for conservation and major maintenance initiatives.
25. Work with the Development Office to promote preservation/conservation activities, write grants, and meet with donors.
26. Prepare Board presentations as requested.
27. Assist in the preparation of press releases and promotion of the site.
28. Manage safety systems and procedures and supervise emergency preparedness and response efforts.