THE CITY OF RIVERSIDE
A Great Place to Live, Work and Play
SENIOR PLANNERS (2)
Job Code 79310
$5,592-$7,491/month + Excellent Benefits
Applications will be accepted
until 11:59pm on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
There are two current openings in the Planning Division of the Community Development Department. Under general supervision, to supervise and perform advanced professional planning work; and to perform related work as required. These positions are designated as Non-Classified and are exempt from classified service. The incumbents shall be appointed "at-will" and serve at the pleasure of the City Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervise and coordinate such ongoing programs as design review, variances, residential development permits, general plan reviews, grading, and environmental assessments.
• Review existing zoning, subdivision, and environmental provisions and make recommendations for the revisions of such to conform with community characteristics and needs.
• Conduct consultations with subdividers and developers with reference to plans for new development; explain purposes, regulations, and objectives of accepted planning practices; suggest improved design for new developments.
• Supervise and participate in the review of building plans, zoning matters, environmental assessments and environmental impact reports; confer with members of the public in an effort to secure compliance with established zoning ordinances.
• Supervise and participate in special planning, zoning, and environmental studies; prepare reports and findings.
• Coordinate the staff support work of various boards and commissions.
• Provide professional staff support to boards and commissions served by the City Planning Department.
• Represent the Planning Department at public meetings and work with various groups and individuals regarding a variety of planning and zoning matters.
• Meet and advise developers regarding development applications and processes.
• Assist in budget preparation and administration.
• Coordinate planning related activities with other City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies.
• Supervise, train and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical and clerical personnel.
• Serve as Acting Principal Planner as required.
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a related field considered to be useful in City planning, preferably supplemented by a Master's degree in planning or a related field.
Experience: Three years of professional experience in urban planning and zoning work. A Master's degree may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Desired Qualifications: Experience in cultural resources and/or historic preservation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Principles and practices of urban planning.
• Laws related to general plans, environmental matters, zoning, and land divisions.
• Recent developments, current literature, and informational sources in the field of planning and zoning.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
• Personal computer operation and software applications.
• Interpret the planning and zoning programs to the general public.
• Analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information.
• Plan and prepare comprehensive, clear, and concise reports with sound recommendations.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
• Develop work procedures.
• Supervise, train, and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical, and clerical staff.
• Operate a personal computer and relevant software programs.
Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be placed on an eligibility list which will remain in effect for six (6) months. Candidates will be screened further, and those meeting additional highly desirable qualifications may be invited to compete in a written, performance and/or oral exam. Qualified candidates will be certified for a selection interview. The final candidate(s) will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check, verification of work experience, and submit an official copy of educational transcripts verifying obtained degrees or certificates as indicated on the employment application. The appointed candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination and drug test.
The City of Riverside does not reimburse candidates for any expenses incurred as a result of this recruitment.
For a complete job description and
to fill out a required on-line application,
An Equal Opportunity Employer